Thursday 27 February 2020

Wednesday Reads 26/2/20



What I’ve just finished reading:
Two Wings to Fly Away by Penny Mickelbury. I have a reflection post (it’s really not a review) in the works and I hope that will be posted soon. But basically a) there is a romance in this story but the book is not a Romance; b) I want the sequel ASAP, and c) I now need to decide which of Mickelbury’s other series to start on sometime soon. Honestly, it will probably come down to which is more readily available.

Mindset, by Carol Dweck. An item on my personal development reading list from last year. I had some time and access to the eBook via the library and so sat down and finished off the final chapter. Really good book; probably need to get my own copy.

What I’m reading now:
My spreadsheet tells me I have four books currently on the go, which feels like a couple too many.

Barbed Wire and Cherry Blossoms by Anita Heiss. Third of my Black History Month books, this is an historical set during WWII at the time of the Cowra Breakout. One of the Japanese prisoners who escaped in the breakout makes his way to a nearby mission station where Indigenous Australians are forced to live by the government. There was some utter nonsense on Twitter over the weekend where African Americans were saying Indigenous Australians aren’t Black and that made me all the more determined to read this as a Black History Month read.

The Heiress Effect by Courtney Milan. I needed something on Kobo to read and I didn’t feel like Anne Boleyn. Also I am trying to keep my Black History Month goal of only finishing fiction by authors of colour (with the exception of Moontangled). So I started the next of the Brothers Sinister books. The two from last week, Craft a life you love by Amy Tangerine and Anne Boleyn: A King’s Obsession, are still there.

What’s catching my eye on the TBR:

I’ve put in an Inter-Library Loan request for Blonde Roots, one of Bernardine Evaristo’s earlier books, and the system tells me it’s on its way. Meanwhile, Kristin Neff’s Self-Compassion is finally back on the shelf in my work library, and I’ve been wanting to read that since early last year and I may need to just snap it up while it’s available.

No comments:

Post a Comment