Friday 10 January 2020

Review: The Lawyer's Luck

The Lawyer's Luck (Home to Milford College, #0.5)The Lawyer's Luck by Piper Huguley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This novella prequel to Hugely's "Home to Milford College" was available free on Kobo, which I appreciated. I'm trying to read more books generally by authors of colour, but particularly romance by Black women, but while the idea of Home to Milford College appeals to me, as a queer Christian, I'm wary of most books marketed as Christian fiction. So a free novella meant I could taste and see whether I was going to find the particular flavour of Christianity offputting for me. I really didn't. I think the only problem I'm going to have here is the same one I had with beginning to read The Brothers Sinister with the prequel novella, written later. I want more stories with *these* characters, when the story is actually written later about the predeccessors to the characters the series is actually about . I got over that quickly with the Brothers Sinister and I'll get over it here, too.

I loved the setup - I love the contradiction between Lawyer as "I should be the protector" against his actual approach to life and then Realie's pragmatism and complete lack of romanticism. And the ending was absolutely satisfying. I'm definitely adding the series proper to my reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment