Thursday 30 January 2020

Wednesday reads (on a Thursday) - 30/1/2020



What I’ve just finished reading:
The Husband Hunters by Anne de Courcy - this was one of the long overdue library books that I was trying to finish. It was really good, and in combination with a remark about the Gilded Age in a recent Doctor Who episode has made me really want to read more about this era. (Maybe I’ll finally finish the Anna Godberson books…)

Katherine of Aragon: The True Queen by Alison Weir. First in the Six Tudor Queens series, four of which have already been published. Howard is due out in May. You may recall that in my “what I’ll read next” last week I mentioned that we were going to see Six: the Musical and I expected that it would get me back into reading this book. I was right :-) While it didn’t send me into paroxysms of anything (joy or rage) it was a perfectly good book, and I’m looking forward to the rest of the series.

What I’m reading now:
Arthur: Prince of the Roses by Alison Weir. She’s published a bunch of e-only short stories to go along with the main books in the Six Tudor Queens series. Some of them seem a little high priced for short stories, so I may not read them all, but Arthur was free, and the next, The Blackened Heart is .99c, so those two I’ll read.

Anne Boleyn: A King’s Obsession by Alison Weir. Yes, I’ve already started the next one.

What I’ll read next:
Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo has arrived for me from the library. While I’m not sure I’m in the mood for high literature (this is last year’s Booker Prize winner) I also think it’s important that I read it, and I keep reminding myself that the Evaristo I’ve read, The Emperor’s Babe, was utterly fabulous and not heavy at all.

Moontangled by Stephanie Burgis is due out on Monday and I can’t wait. The other three books in the Harwood Spellbook series - Snowspelled, Thornbound, and Spellswept have been absolutely delightful, and Moontangled is f/f, to boot! (Angsty f/f, I suspect, but still, f/f.)

Oh, and there’s an Elle Spencer contemporary f/f romance, Casting Lacey, that I keep dipping in and out of. It’s on my iPad rather than my phone, so I don’t have it with me for easy reading at random moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment