Thursday 23 January 2020

Wednesday reads (on a Thursday. Unless you're reading this in the USA.)



I tried to get back to doing Wednesday Reads, but it didn’t quite happen. Next week will definitely be on Thursday, and after that Trivia will be back, so we’ll see. Anyway:

What I’ve just finished reading:

The Girls of Murder City by Douglas Perry - I'll review this one here properly later, but if you click through you'll see I gave it four stars - which honestly would have been 4.5 if the system allowed it. Really good read.

Dead Queen Walking by Tansy Rayner Roberts. YOU HAD ME GOING FOR A MINUTE, TANSY. Three-quarters of the way through this I did NOT know where it was going, or like where I thought it might be going, but it all came out okay at the end and yes, it’s Tansy so I should have trusted her, but OMG. (Seriously, a mostly highly enjoyable roller coaster. Leaving aside the fact that I don’t actually like roller coasters…) A fabulous conclusion to the Castle Charming series. All four novellas are available now, although as a Patreon supporter I got mine a little earlier. I just hadn’t got around to reading it yet because ... I have no idea why. I should have read this earlier.

What I’m currently reading

The Husband Hunters by Anne de Courcy - I love de Courcy’s popular history - I haven’t read all of hers but I’ve read a bunch of them. This one is on a fascinating subject that I’d love to look into even more: the ridiculously rich women from American families who married into titled families in England.

Courted by Celia Cohen - this one may be my first DNF of the year. If it was a fic I would have abandoned it already, but I paid actual money for this book and so I feel obligated to read more of it somehow? But the writing style just doesn’t work for me. Actually, that’s part of the problem perhaps - there’s a Clarke/Lexa tennis AU fic that has recently been completed that I’d probably enjoy reading more than I’m enjoying this one. I may just have talked myself into the DNF. (No link because DNF)

What I'll read next

We're going away for the weekend so I'm thinking eBooks, although there may be a hold waiting for me at the library. I'd like to get back into Alison Weir's Six Wives books - I'm still stuck on the first one. But we're going to see SIX at the Opera House tomorrow night and that's sure to throw me right back into a Tudors obsession. Guaranteed. I also have the first Bollywood Confidential book, Spice and Smoke by Suleikha Snyder, which was another Kobo freebie that I downloaded to test whether I felt like that series. And I've just noticed Hamilton's Battalion is there as well and how have I not read that yet???

No comments:

Post a Comment